Louis C. Tiffany's landscapes of devotion

1 For discussion of early window glass see Lindsy R. Parrott, "‘Unimaginable Splendours of Colour,'" in Louis C. Tiffany and the Art of Devotion (D. Giles, London, and Museum of Biblical Art, New York, 2012), pp. 87-114. 2 For more, see Alice Cooney Frelinghuysen, "Agnes Northrop: Tiffany Studios' Designer of Floral and Landscape Windows," ibid., pp. 163-184. 3 Peter W. Williams, "American Religion in the Age of the City, 1880-1915," ibid., pp.11-21. 4 "Will Be Dedicated To-Day," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, December 15, 1895. 5 See Edward L. Cutts, History of Early Christian Art (London and New York, 1893) p. 212; and Hymn and Tune Book for the Church and the Home: and Services for Congregational Worship (Boston, 1873), p. 89. 6 The Universalist Church of our Father was located at Classon and Atlantic Avenues. The windows are now on long-term loan to the Brooklyn Museum of Art from their current owners, All Souls Universalist Church, Brooklyn. 7 William H. Murray, Adventures in the Wilderness; or Camp Life in the Adirondacks (Boston, 1869), p. 195. 8 Elka Deitsch, "Translations in Light: The May Memorial Window at Temple Emanu-El, New York," in Louis C. Tiffany and the Art of Devotion, pp. 185-193. 9 F. Eurich, "An Ideal Cemetery," The Modern Cemetery, vol. 1, no. 2 (1891), p. 19.

Thank you for signing up.

[Compiled by Bill Stern, Executive Director at the Museum of California Design, Los Angeles. Originally published in "Curator's Eye" in Modern Magazi

» View All