May 23, 2013 | The exhibition opening today at the Neue Galerie in New York City focuses on the decorative arts, furniture, and graphic design of Koloman Moser (1868-1918), beginning with his co-founding of the Vienna Secession in 1897 and culminating with his departure from the Wiener Werkstätte in 1907.
The three main galleries are set up chronologically, the first covering the end of the nineteenth century and focusing on Moser's development from painter to designer and teacher, and his subsequent graphic-design work and glass and ceramic creations. Highlights include a sample of an 1899 textile Schwämme (Mushrooms) and a large cigar cabinet with elaborate mahogany and maple-burl inverse marquetry from 1900. Thematically, the room introduces the Vienna Secession and its promotion of Gesamtkunstwerk-a notion reinforced by the design of the gallery which is itself a "total art work." The walls have been stenciled with the large-scale rose pattern often seen in Moser's work, and the ros…» More
June 30, 2010 | Just outside of Baltimore in Towson, Maryland is the Hampton National Historic Site, part of the National Park Service since 1948, when it was the first site to receive recognition for architectural merit. Built in a popular Georgian domestic style, the mansion is a series of three main units connected by recessed "hyphens," stretching 175 feet across a large hill. A thirty-four-foot tall cupola surmounts the central unit, creating a palatial effect that some called "pretentious" during its construction in the late eighteenth century. Today, the mansion is the decorative and architectural centerpiece of the site, but extant farm buildings introduce the servants, slaves, and farmers who ran the estate for its long tenure as a successful farm. These buildings include everything from an orangerie and greenhouses to stone slave quarters and an icehouse, making Hampton a rare example of an eighteenth and nineteenth century plantation and farm left intact.
Seven generations of t…» More
Pickle Dish, American China Manufactory (Bonnin and Morris), Philadelphia, 1771-72. Soft-paste porcelain with lead glaze; height 4 3/16, width 4 1/2» View All